Monday, January 23, 2012

[Make] Yarn Words

This year I said nay to a typical pink and red Valentine's mantel.  I want something that  I can enjoy for a while... at least until March, so  the traditional hearts, red and pink are a no-go.  I'm still working on a couple more things, but here's my un-Valentine Valentine's mantel so far...



This idea came about when...

I saw these awesome rope words by wednesday and knew that I had to try it out... 
but with yarn. no rope to be found in mi casa.

I then decided on the quote "love makes the world go round".

love that quote... when's the last time "hate" made the world go round, huh?
besides, "love means never having to say you're sorry" 
is just too long... and untrue :)
Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah...

Since the word "world" was mentioned, I then had a deep desire to...
pilfer the globes from Happy Vee's room,
and was further motivated to dig around my untidy craft room until...
 I uncovered my stash of old Auto Club maps,
which where then cut-up and taped to the large mirror above our fireplace.

which then became a cool backdrop for the yarn words.

but the white words blended too much into the map background...

so a coat of venetian gold paint came to the rescue.

and those glue dots really do hold everything.

and the rest is history. 

the end.

Don't you love the snowball effect that comes about with a little inspiration?


Homemade Fabric Stiffener

I stirred together the recipe found here--
4 oz white glue ::  1/2 cup cornstarch &amp :: 1/4 cup warm water

then dipped in my yarn....

wrung-out the extra by sliding 2 fingers down the yarn, then started shaping my words on wax paper.

after letting it dry until solid (24 hours), I pulled off the words...

It looks like a little kid's handwriting... In hindsight, I probably should've spent more time planning out my letters.  meh!

I actually liked the white yarn words, but it didn't "pop" enough against the map background, and I couldn't see the words at night.

without paint...


with paint...


I'm not finished with the mantel yet-- I'll be adding a few more yarn-inspired goodies.  I'll be back to share later!




sharing with...

Somewhat Simple