Monday, April 4, 2011

Green Eggs

{but no ham}

Moss Egg


Since I had the sheet moss out for the Happy Easter Garland, I decided to play around with it a bit.  So that's how the moss egg came about.  What do  you think?  I'm still a little on the fence.  Green blob entered my mind, so I added the flowers.  I kept going back and forth on the flowers, but I've concluded that they add a much needed touch of pretty.  It's growing on me...

Here are more Moss Egg creations:

burlap & moss just seem to go together!

Here's what you'll need to create a Burlap & Moss Egg...

If you don't want the color of your plastic egg to show through the burlap, you'll want to cover it up.  I used a white thin paper towel (tissue paper or a paper napkin would also work).  No need to make it pretty, just glue it down and smooth-out all the creases.


Next, cut out a piece of burlap.  It should completely cover your egg with about an inch of extra material on the top & bottom of the egg...


Glue the burlap to the egg.  Cut the extra material on the top & bottom of the egg until each side reaches the middle of the egg (hope this picture explains it better)...


On the top and bottom of the egg, cut the extra material into strips (about 1 cm wide)...

Cut those strips into tapered "picket fences"...

Then glue down those tapers, slightly overlapping each one ...

Here's what the Burlap Covered Egg will look like...

{BTW, this is a simplified version of "Washi Eggs", a meticulous Japanese technique of covering eggs with pretty paper.  Since burlap is pretty forgiving, and we're not going for absolute perfection, my version is pretty "rough".  Here are the instructions for perfect Washi Eggs.}

Now get out your Sheet Moss, Scissors & Glue and get creative!  Giraffe egg? Chevron egg?  Anything goes...

I created the chevron pattern by cutting out several identical diamond shapes.  I then glued down the pattern with Tacky Glue...

So, what do you think?  A little rough, but I think they definitely fit the organic & natural look that I'm trying to achieve.


{Next up:  Just a few more eggs to share... then I'm done with eggs... really!}

Have a great week!




linked to:


All Things Heart and HomegiveawaysVisit thecsiproject.com