Thursday, September 2, 2010

Painting Glass

I've been wanting to try this out for a while and had a chance to experiment today.  We finally have weather warm enough for the boys to have a "water day" in the backyard.  I set-up a water park of sorts in our backyard to keep them busy as I played around with fabric puffy paint, glass bottles and acrylic & spray paints.


Empty bottle, ready for upcycling...
BTW, if you haven't tried it, Trader Joe's sparkling lemonade is delish!

I don't trust myself with freehanding anything, so I drew a simple design on the bottle using a dry erase marker... Love dry erase-- if you don't like it, wipe it off.  If you're like me, it takes at least 3 tries to draw a simple flower.

Now the fun part... add the puffy paint.  Unless you're a puffy paint guru, I recommend dots... Lots and lots of dots.  Let dry for a couple of hours.

::Glass Bottle with Acrylic Paint::

For the clear bottle, I poured in a creamy antique acrylic paint. While I like the contrast of the acrylic paint against the white puffy paint, if I were to do it again, I'd use an oil-based or regular interior paint instead.  The acrylic doesn't adhere to glass readily and I had to constantly rotate the bottle to get complete coverage and avoid streaks.  Next time I'm going to dip into one of the cans of Dunn-Edwards that we have stacked in our garage.

::Glass Bottle with Spray Paint::

I spray painted the green bottle with "Ivory Silk" in a satin finish.  Very quick and easy.

Hmmm... I do like the flower pattern, but the rest seems a little flat.  I can't decide if I should add more white puffy paint to add more detail.... or spray paint it with a clear gloss... or just spray paint over it in a glossy white.    I'm leaning toward glossy white... even though I'm trying to achieve a Fall vibe... Decisions, decisions...
 
˙·٠•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•٠·

linked to:

shabby nest